STOP EATING THIS!! STOP THAT!! RESTRICT THIS!! DON’T THAT…
(Organic Grapefruit, Silly Man With Hat, Miami, Florida)
So, resolutions… Really? You’re still making these? Well, I guess there COULD be merit in it but before you consider making a new years resolution have a quick think back to your last to see if that list of stuff you wanted to change is actually any different? And, read on…
Lazy to read all of this post then know this:
– Restricting yourself from something can create a head full of traps. Move towards what you want..
– Ignore the Social Media New Years Resolution hype because you might ‘inherit’ someone else’s problems. Do your thing. If you want to, focus on upgrading the already awesome you…
– When it comes to food, the restriction plan has proven itself useless, even problematic (…decades of fad dieting) time and time again. ‘Move towards nutrient dense foods’ is a full proof basic strategy. With that fine tune your nutrient dense food selection based on how you react to it (energy levels, skin, hair and moods are some of the feedback systems to ‘listen to’).
– Tune in to, respect, and listen to your environment. That is everything in your life. It is speaking to you, you are speaking with it, it affects you and you affect it. I invite you to tune in.
– Restricting others. What!? Yeah, that’s right… Something that any food blogger, nutritionist, trainer, or any human really should consider; is where am I projecting (putting) my own beliefs and restrictions on others. And then considering how offer learnings without inflicting them…
THIS NEXT ONE IS A BEAUTY!!!
– What action does the person you want to become already do? Just do it. By doing the thing that the person you want to become does you instantly become the person you want to become. You’re one and the same. Do it. You ca rinse and repeat this one for a while because it will always apply.
Back to RESTRICTION…
The second you say (or even think) ‘I can’t eat this or that’ you put a trap in your mind. The 7 year old in you rebels with a force stronger than the bowl movements of a lactose intolerant drinking pasteurized fat-free milk (which should be avoided at all costs by the way).
Health should NOT be about mind traps and restriction.
(That’s what our childhood was for, right!?)
Youcan flip it…
Check this example:
Imagine person A wants to lose some weight. They begin the year with a list of all the foods they’re not going to eat. No chocolate, no cake, no fish and chips, no bread, no pasta, no carbs, no sugar…
Now imagine person B takes a different approach. Instead of depriving, taking things away they choose to add green vegetables to their meals, upgrade from grain fed beef to grass fed beef, to eat eggs from free range organic chickens, or to add a green smoothie, or to add 10 minutes to their dog walking, even to find time to go for a walk or even begin some kind of sport or training.
Person B is moving towards nutrient dense foods, saying yes to life (yeah i know it might sound hippie but as you will see in my videos the hippie category so created by man, is absolutely bang on right with most things life). Person B is nourishing their mind, body and energy. Creating something in their life that they can then freely and happily share with others.
Now, with aaaaaaaaaaall of that said…
If you are still hell-bent on making a resolution based on dieting this year, have a read of this so you jump the first hurdle:
Heard someone (maybe you) say this before?
“OH, yeah dude, I know how to lose fat, just train more and eat less…” WRONG (well that depends too really because you will probably lose a bit in the first couple of days BUT know that the ‘eat less, train more’ is severely flawed and almost certainly not sustainable for you and will almost certainly wreak havoc on your hormones doing unnecessary damage)
Train more, eat less is a bit like the finding that smoking cigarettes can temporarily increase your lung capacity, very short term gain for medium to long term damage).
Calories in Calories out? That’s what ‘train more eat less’ is based on really, so yep, calories in calories out is severely flawed too.
Quick 2015 fix for fat burning?
Again this absolutely depends on you, your heart, your lifestyle, motivation, health and physical ability but…
– Sprints (or HIIT) before a protein dominant breakfast is a basic rule of thumb that many experts (including me) use on themselves and with clients.
– Squats. Deep, satisfying squats. Get them in your life for fat burning, strength building, feeling awesome and mobility.
Give yourself freedom from restriction in 2015
So, if you’re going to set yourself any kind of ‘goal’ for 2015 give yourself freedom from restriction. Taking a 180 degree view of your approach to food and health.
Give yourself the gift of moving towards nutrient dense foods while increasing your awareness on how your eating and buying decisions impact you and the environment around you. That is a deeper way to nourish yourself.
Simple when you feel the shift.
THIS REALLY HELPS: If you like this, click like at the top and on Rich Eats FaceBook to stay in touch because I will be posting much more regularly to motivate the awesomeness out of you!
@RichEats on Instagram is awesome too. Follow there, here’s to a mind blowing 2015!