Knowing what I know now, this is the health advice I’d give to the younger me… (Don’t take them literally, see what thoughts and feelings they provoke for you if you are looking to make changes…)
The Younger Me:
(on the left)
38″ waist at 15 years old, I was not happy with it and didn’t know what to do. The marketers at that time were pushing fat free, which only contributed to my obesity.
1) When your dad needs it, get him medicinal marijuana, maybe some CBD oil, it will help him.
2) Marketers are very clever and they sell you, not only shit you don’t need, but shit that could ruin your life, even kill you. WOW it would be funny if it were not true.
2b) Don’t believe their lies. Scientific studies and the media can be and ARE bought. There is even an official name for the manipulation of the media (including Wiki, social media and the internet), it’s called ‘Astroturfing’ click on this to see the article / TED talk on Astroturfing
3) You are forever changing and so the answer you have for your health and diet will forever be changing too. That is why meditation, silence and tuning into to the real feelings and messages from your body will help you going forward. Be around people into health (this event I’m speaking in the UK is a good place to meet like minded people)
4)Fat free, sugar free, 99% fat free, lite, light, low fat, gluten free, paleo and other words they use on packaging are often used to distract you from something else. Treat them as warning signs – read the ingredients. Maybe it’s low fat and high sugar, or fat free, sugar free and full of aspartame / acesuflame K / fructose.
This brand have gone for an all out lie, see if you can spot the inconsistency:
Ingredients: LACTOSE, DEXTROSE, and finally Stevia (1%)
Artisan or Artisanal is the latest word that is being used and destroyed by marketers.
Fit, 0% Fat, Sugar and a ‘sexy’ lady on…. a LOAF OF BREAD! LOL?
N.B some brands that use those words on their packaging are highly ethical and high quality foods. Addictive Wellness for example are one of the highest ethics brands I know and they use sugar free, dairy free, gluten free. This is why the people driving the brands are once again becoming the important factor. I know that if Sage or Anna-Blanca (of Addictive wellness) bring out another product it will be of the highest integrity.
5) 77% of all percentage statistics are often meaningless. Literally utter nonsense ;)… My internal dialogue to statements such as ‘95% of people on this diet lose 10% body fat in 6 weeks’ “Cool? that’s interesting… I don’t even wonder what the actual results were because percentage statistics interest me not at all”
6) Comparing yourself to cover models, social media models, competing cross fitters or anyone else for that matter is a lost cause. They are not you. Your constitution, lifestyle, goals, thoughts and desires are completely different. Besides, many of these physiques (along side hard training) are the result growth hormone, steroids, or Photoshop.
7) Eat more fat, and less sugar. Fat from the right sources of course; grass fed meats, ghee, coconut oil, extra V olive oil, avocado, some oil supplements, high quality cacao, dulce seaweed, chontaduro (South America) to name but a few.
8) Learn how to make PROPER SMOOTHIES and BLENDS and get a decent blender.
9) Remove your allergens. Figure out what foods you are eating that you are having a bad reaction. I.e your allergens and stop eating them. Do this by eliminating the common suspects: soy, lactose, wheat, corn, tree nuts, eggs, dairy then adding the ones you REALLY want to eat after 4 weeks without them.
10) Alternative medicine. Traditional Chinese medicine has been developing for 1000’s of years. The highly effective medical system takes Hippocrates ‘let food be thy medicine’ f statement literally and is widely available in developed countries now. They look at the person’s food and lifestyle (often the root of illness) and make changes there rather than masking it with pharmaceutical prescription drugs.
11) Rich, think twice before getting all of those vaccinations for your travels later in life. Find an alternative, question the ingredients, or take alternative trip.
12) Instead of running for 1+ hours 5 times per week, there is a more effective way to burn fat and create the physique you want. Lifting weights and doing HIIT high intensity interval training will helpo increase testosterone which will help build muscle and burn fat. And remember to change it up every 6 weeks or so to keep your training effective.
13) Giveaway / destroy all of the cans of fizzy pop (soda) in the house, you and your mum don’t need them. She will quit later in life anyway when you become a fitness professional and advise here.
If you’re in the UK maybe you can get to the WellBeingNow Seminar or contact me to speak at your company.
14) Quality over eating anything. We are so privileged in our lives to have the choice of grain fed vs. grass fed, organic over non-organic, we don’t have to eat GMO foods, we can choose the higher quality. Choose fasting over eating the artificial / highly processed / tortured animal alternative.
15) Keep drumming, but also add some silent meditation in there. Like practicing scales on a musical instrument, rudiments on the drums or technique in any sport, will help you in the real the real performance later, silent meditation is like practicing not to react to stressful situations in the future.
16) Your body is made of cells, inside the cells are molecules, inside the molecules are atoms and inside the atom… WOAH! Let me tell you, it’s just ever changing energy. You are made of every changing energy. And guess what? So is everyone and everything else………
Good luck beautiful amigo, enjoy the journey!
The WellBeingNow Seminar is a ticket event you can attend, or contact me to speak at your company.