No one was hurt during the making of this short, wordless movie…
(By Rich Eats and Marc Brickman)
No one was hurt during the making of this short, wordless movie…
(By Rich Eats and Marc Brickman)
Tea: fast facts
– Tea has been used as medicine for thousands of years
– If your tea is not organic or known to be from a wild and clean source it is almost guaranteed to have been grown in fertilisers and pesticides – this is bad for you and your environment
– Organic tea is a base level option tea (never non-organic) and if you can find wild, living tea choose that
– Tea is more than just a warm beverage, unless it’s just a warm beverage
– All tea comes from one tree, Camellia Sinensis (*)
– Sitting in silence drinking tea for a few moments each morning is a kind of meditation that can calm and direct your mind before you take on the day
– Tea for many is a meditation and way of calming, healing and feeling the inherent connection we have with this planet (unless it’s non-organic tea then it’s just hypocrisy. More on that in this blog post 😉
– British tea is not black tea in China, it’s red tea
When I ‘officially’ started out on the Rich Eats world travel extravaganza I was more focused on fat burning and vanity than holistic health and wellbeing. Well, tea was a HUGE part of this shift. In this article we are going to find out how tea is so much more than a dried and ground up leaf in a cup of hot water…
As well as the innate physical healing properties of tea, the X factor comes when we stop and think about what it stands for. Taking a moment out of the day to shut up, sit, think through the leaf to the mountain, to the sun energy growing the 500, 1000 even 2000+ year old tree, and how that tree is nourished by some of the cleanest water on the planet; it breathes the purest air and is a living part of a mountain ecology. As you sit and think about how one tree gives its leaves once per year and one family go to the tree to retrieve its gifts and guide them through this journey before being ready for your bowl (or cup), there is no deadline, no bill, or car that needs fixing… stress disappears and the feeling of peace and connection re-emerges. That is healing.
When I arrived in LA I’d already had a taste of the real deal… teas from wild trees that is. t was at a tea bar in London where she first ‘spoke’ to me; unfortunately that great place no longer exists. (More about ‘talking tea’ here.)
With this knowledge of a tea world outside chemically grown bagged powders, there was no turning back, and like experiencing world travel outside the packaged holiday resort, that all inclusive convenience will never taste or feel the same. Back to LA, I found the tea world in Venice Beach, invited in.
The tea ceremony is about feeling the ever present connection with each other and nature, it is about drinking a healing medicine, allowing the qi energy to work its magic through your body and soul, letting go of judgement, the material man-made world disappears, financial status disintegrates into that which it is – just a number, in the ceremony we acknowledge and feel each other as equal living beings.
There is silence, sometimes hours (it’s a rarity in this day and age to sit with another person in silence and just feel), sometimes people cry from the emotions that are released (maybe that’s the tea working its magic), we engage in conversation (sometimes about tea, or whatever comes up), and as a wise Chinese Emperor once never said: it’s a moment to shut up and be.
Thinking bigger, choosing organic (foods as well as tea) is not about saving the planet but about preserving our place on this blue and green rock.
A nice interview with tea master Wu De… Watch it to find out more about this beautiful leaf!:
I want to give a big shout out to my amigo Colin who travels to Taiwan to meet the families and farmers who look after the living trees trees and process the leaves. He has an amazing company Living Tea and is my first port of call for everything tea!! Legend!! Thanks mate!
They’re clean and nourishing from the inside out… Once Again Nut Butters are employee owned and nourish the farms in Central America as much as you… It was really beautiful spending time with these guys…
(Organic and Non- GMO = LIKE!)
Some key ‘take-aways’ and my notes from our interview:
1) ‘Raw’ on the label of a food product can be misleading (and when it comes to nut’s even meaningless)
2) ‘Raw’ in itself does not necessarily mean a ‘good thing’. Eating a fad Raw food diet because you think it’s good for you might not be the best thing for you. When it comes to finding your best meal and food selection it ALWAYS depends.
3) Looking after your suppliers (the farms) is a HUGE piece of the puzzle. There was a specific nut shortage a few years ago, because Once Again Nut Butters were taking care of their farms in Central America, they still had supplies. (they said their competitors were even coming to them for nuts!! NUTS!!)
4) Nuts in General are not the easiest things to digest, nut butters are easier.
5) In Traditional Chinese Medicine, a practice I am very fond of, they consider nut butters to be ‘dampening’ and so if you are prone to phlegm then hold off on the nut butter for a bit…
6) Gael and Roy (in the interview) are legends!
7) Always check the mic.
David Wolfe – I like this guy, he’s a fascinating one…
Superfoods, medicinal mushrooms, phytoplankton, vegan, paleo… so much went on during this interview… This is a just 2 minutes of 40!
If you like this part you might also like:
Longevity Now 2015 interview:
DAVID WOLFE NAILS PALEO Vs. VEGAN
David Wolfe Longevity 2013:
David Wolfe on SIRT1 gene LSD and supplements:
Dave Asprey interview:
DAVE ASPREY on COFFEE, MYCOTOXINS and PARENTING
Nadine Artemis Interview:
NADINE ARTEMIS on SUNSCREEN and CANCER
And… this is a nice little interview with Addictive Wellness Chocolate on XYLITOL and STEVIA available at Erewhon in Hollywood and throughout California:
And this is a full interview on Addictive Wellness Chocolates and their Mission (full of medicinal mushrooms and healing herbs)
This video is featuring the awesome Castle Rock Water, and see if you can see how deep the messages go…
Castle Rock Water are on a great mission. For so many reasons, not just their contribution to and collaboration with the community of Dunsmuir where the water caves are but also what they stand for – using glass bottles, providing water from a source so pure and nourishing (water is not just water).
Like when people buy organic foods and choose local produce or dine at restaurants supporting local farms, by choosing water from glass bottles you’re helping yourself (not ingesting the plastic) and the environment.
The mountain where this water comes from is a magical place. Yeah I guess that could sound a little bit hippie but if you ever get the chance to visit Mount Shasta you will know why…
This interview with Castle Rock Water @CastleRockWater at Expo West and at their plant near Mount Shasta was a nourishing one!! I love these guys, their messages and everything they are standing for.
Castle Rock Water is one of the Worlds best water. They even won an award for it in 2014. But their mission and message is wider and deeper than this…. watch the video now if you’re yet to do so… get in!
Oh, and, we are not saying to start shipping this water all around the World, simply if you’re fortunate enough to be in this area to try it. And wherever you are in the World to choose a water source that is clean and nourishing for your body and mind and that is supporting the local community rather than depleting.
This is a nice preview of the 2015 interview with David Wolfe – I wonder if he likes Castle rock Water?
These Better Life by Clean Happens cleaning products are so clean you can literally eat them!! (I’m not saying go eat them, just making the point that it’s possible)
The simple and basic fact that we breath in the chemicals that are on our clothes, bedding and cleaning products makes the decision for me very simple – whichever brand I choose, I’m always going to choose something that I’m comfortable spraying on my skin or getting in my mouth BECAUSE it goes in passively anyway…
David Wolfe interview behind the scenes and Longevity Now conference in California.
(With some fun edits…)
The Longevity Now Conference is where we did the interview… looking forward to this years’!
When I did the interview with David Wolfe I didn’t know too much about him, and in all frankness, I was at the beginning of an exponential curve of learning that proceeded this interview at the Longevity Now Conference in California.
Resveratrol, a natural phenol, is one of the compounds reported to play a role in great longevity and great health… I’m not saying it will or it won’t get you to 150 but it’s an interesting thought to entertain.
Resveratrol, like so many other, ‘alternative health’ foods or supplements gets mixed reviews as to wether it works or not but this is the thing – the experiment, the science that tests the isolate cannot replicate the real life experience of the human consuming it. The science test cannot be a fair one.
Likewise, saying take ‘this’ or ‘that’ supplement and live longer is a fallacy. It MIGHT up you chances, but environment, job and life satisfaction and those thoughts in your mind play an even bigger role…………… And, as your environment changes, so your eating habits should change. The seasons will change.
Love and Tea,
And Rich Eats FaceBook
STOP EATING THIS!! STOP THAT!! RESTRICT THIS!! DON’T THAT…
(Organic Grapefruit, Silly Man With Hat, Miami, Florida)
So, resolutions… Really? You’re still making these? Well, I guess there COULD be merit in it but before you consider making a new years resolution have a quick think back to your last to see if that list of stuff you wanted to change is actually any different? And, read on…
Lazy to read all of this post then know this:
– Restricting yourself from something can create a head full of traps. Move towards what you want..
– Ignore the Social Media New Years Resolution hype because you might ‘inherit’ someone else’s problems. Do your thing. If you want to, focus on upgrading the already awesome you…
– When it comes to food, the restriction plan has proven itself useless, even problematic (…decades of fad dieting) time and time again. ‘Move towards nutrient dense foods’ is a full proof basic strategy. With that fine tune your nutrient dense food selection based on how you react to it (energy levels, skin, hair and moods are some of the feedback systems to ‘listen to’).
– Tune in to, respect, and listen to your environment. That is everything in your life. It is speaking to you, you are speaking with it, it affects you and you affect it. I invite you to tune in.
– Restricting others. What!? Yeah, that’s right… Something that any food blogger, nutritionist, trainer, or any human really should consider; is where am I projecting (putting) my own beliefs and restrictions on others. And then considering how offer learnings without inflicting them…
THIS NEXT ONE IS A BEAUTY!!!
– What action does the person you want to become already do? Just do it. By doing the thing that the person you want to become does you instantly become the person you want to become. You’re one and the same. Do it. You ca rinse and repeat this one for a while because it will always apply.
Back to RESTRICTION…
The second you say (or even think) ‘I can’t eat this or that’ you put a trap in your mind. The 7 year old in you rebels with a force stronger than the bowl movements of a lactose intolerant drinking pasteurized fat-free milk (which should be avoided at all costs by the way).
Health should NOT be about mind traps and restriction.
(That’s what our childhood was for, right!?)
Youcan flip it…
Check this example:
Imagine person A wants to lose some weight. They begin the year with a list of all the foods they’re not going to eat. No chocolate, no cake, no fish and chips, no bread, no pasta, no carbs, no sugar…
Now imagine person B takes a different approach. Instead of depriving, taking things away they choose to add green vegetables to their meals, upgrade from grain fed beef to grass fed beef, to eat eggs from free range organic chickens, or to add a green smoothie, or to add 10 minutes to their dog walking, even to find time to go for a walk or even begin some kind of sport or training.
Person B is moving towards nutrient dense foods, saying yes to life (yeah i know it might sound hippie but as you will see in my videos the hippie category so created by man, is absolutely bang on right with most things life). Person B is nourishing their mind, body and energy. Creating something in their life that they can then freely and happily share with others.
Now, with aaaaaaaaaaall of that said…
If you are still hell-bent on making a resolution based on dieting this year, have a read of this so you jump the first hurdle:
Heard someone (maybe you) say this before?
“OH, yeah dude, I know how to lose fat, just train more and eat less…” WRONG (well that depends too really because you will probably lose a bit in the first couple of days BUT know that the ‘eat less, train more’ is severely flawed and almost certainly not sustainable for you and will almost certainly wreak havoc on your hormones doing unnecessary damage)
Train more, eat less is a bit like the finding that smoking cigarettes can temporarily increase your lung capacity, very short term gain for medium to long term damage).
Calories in Calories out? That’s what ‘train more eat less’ is based on really, so yep, calories in calories out is severely flawed too.
Quick 2015 fix for fat burning?
Again this absolutely depends on you, your heart, your lifestyle, motivation, health and physical ability but…
– Sprints (or HIIT) before a protein dominant breakfast is a basic rule of thumb that many experts (including me) use on themselves and with clients.
– Squats. Deep, satisfying squats. Get them in your life for fat burning, strength building, feeling awesome and mobility.
Give yourself freedom from restriction in 2015
So, if you’re going to set yourself any kind of ‘goal’ for 2015 give yourself freedom from restriction. Taking a 180 degree view of your approach to food and health.
Give yourself the gift of moving towards nutrient dense foods while increasing your awareness on how your eating and buying decisions impact you and the environment around you. That is a deeper way to nourish yourself.
Simple when you feel the shift.
THIS REALLY HELPS: If you like this, click like at the top and on Rich Eats FaceBook to stay in touch because I will be posting much more regularly to motivate the awesomeness out of you!