SO MUCH MOTIVATION FOR CHANGE in this snippet from “My dinner with Andre”
I feel that this video needs sharing as wide and far as possible.
GET CREATIVE!! Play music, dance, train with people, grow plants, move to the countryside, eat organic, try paleo, go vegan, tune in your feelings, meditate, try vipassana, take a week off social media, leave the city, start a bee hive, get into ceramics… something… BE CREATIVE, FREE AND ELECTRIFY YOUR MIND!
4)Fat free, sugar free, 99% fat free, lite, light, low fat, gluten free, paleo and other words they use on packaging are often used to distract you from something else. Treat them as warning signs – read the ingredients. Maybe it’s low fat and high sugar, or fat free, sugar free and full of aspartame / acesuflame K / fructose.
This brand have gone for an all out lie, see if you can spot the inconsistency:
Ingredients: LACTOSE, DEXTROSE, and finally Stevia (1%)
Artisan or Artisanal is the latest word that is being used and destroyed by marketers.
Fit, 0% Fat, Sugar and a ‘sexy’ lady on…. a LOAF OF BREAD! LOL?
N.B some brands that use those words on their packaging are highly ethical and high quality foods. Addictive Wellness for example are one of the highest ethics brands I know and they use sugar free, dairy free, gluten free. This is why the people driving the brands are once again becoming the important factor. I know that if Sage or Anna-Blanca (of Addictive wellness) bring out another product it will be of the highest integrity.
5) 77% of all percentage statistics are often meaningless. Literally utter nonsense ;)… My internal dialogue to statements such as ‘95% of people on this diet lose 10% body fat in 6 weeks’ “Cool? that’s interesting… I don’t even wonder what the actual results were because percentage statistics interest me not at all”
6) Comparing yourself to cover models, social media models, competing cross fitters or anyone else for that matter is a lost cause. They are not you. Your constitution, lifestyle, goals, thoughts and desires are completely different. Besides, many of these physiques (along side hard training) are the result growth hormone, steroids, or Photoshop.
7) Eat more fat, and less sugar. Fat from the right sources of course; grass fed meats, ghee, coconut oil, extra V olive oil, avocado, some oil supplements, high quality cacao, dulce seaweed, chontaduro (South America) to name but a few.
8) Learn how to make PROPER SMOOTHIES and BLENDS and get a decent blender.
9) Remove your allergens. Figure out what foods you are eating that you are having a bad reaction. I.e your allergens and stop eating them. Do this by eliminating the common suspects: soy, lactose, wheat, corn, tree nuts, eggs, dairy then adding the ones you REALLY want to eat after 4 weeks without them.
10) Alternative medicine.Traditional Chinese medicine has been developing for 1000’s of years. The highly effective medical system takes Hippocrates ‘let food be thy medicine’ f statement literally and is widely available in developed countries now. They look at the person’s food and lifestyle (often the root of illness) and make changes there rather than masking it with pharmaceutical prescription drugs.
11) Rich, think twice before getting all of those vaccinations for your travels later in life. Find an alternative, question the ingredients, or take alternative trip.
12) Instead of running for 1+ hours 5 times per week, there is a more effective way to burn fat and create the physique you want. Lifting weights and doing HIIT high intensity interval training will helpo increase testosterone which will help build muscle and burn fat. And remember to change it up every 6 weeks or so to keep your training effective.
13) Giveaway / destroy all of the cans of fizzy pop (soda) in the house, you and your mum don’t need them. She will quit later in life anyway when you become a fitness professional and advise here.
14) Quality over eating anything. We are so privileged in our lives to have the choice of grain fed vs. grass fed, organic over non-organic, we don’t have to eat GMO foods, we can choose the higher quality. Choose fasting over eating the artificial / highly processed / tortured animal alternative.
15) Keep drumming, but also add some silent meditation in there. Like practicing scales on a musical instrument, rudiments on the drums or technique in any sport, will help you in the real the real performance later, silent meditation is like practicing not to react to stressful situations in the future.
16) Your body is made of cells, inside the cells are molecules, inside the molecules are atoms and inside the atom… WOAH! Let me tell you, it’s just ever changing energy. You are made of every changing energy. And guess what? So is everyone and everything else………
This is NOT a bunch of dumb dieting health tips for Christmas & 2016
These health tips can be used any time, any day, any month, any year.
But, the thing with this list, as with ALL health advice – IT DEPENDS.
Found the latest fat burning health food? That’s interesting… but I don’t really care and neither should you because IT DEPENDS. Your mate just told you about the ketogenic diet or they stopped eating potato skins and their fingernails doubled in strength? That’s interesting too, but I don’t really care about that either and neither should you because IT DEPENDS.
You are different.
You are a unique expression of a human being and their diet or superfood might just be your kryptonite, or not, it depends. Get the picture 🙂 ? Your lifestyle, family, friends, city, mountain, village, sleep pattern, the season, your constitution and a billion other things… all make your answer to all general health advice – “well, that depends, surely?”
Ready for it? (Remember this list also DEPENDS).
Health Tip 1) Intermittent fasting (I.F)?
Just like gravity always did and probably always will – I.F still works. It works because fasting is not some dumb dieting trick – it’s a normal thing for humans to do – not eating for a period of time is OK. Thousands of years ago, even 50 to 100 years ago, food was not ALWAYS around and available and snacking (one of the dumbest things to do if you’re looking to burn fat) wasn’t really done.
The reason intermittent fasting is worth playing with this holiday (DEPENDING) is because it gives your organs a few extra hours to deal with nasty foods it has to clean out. The time not eating also helps promote health hormonal balance in your body.
The basic principle of IFing is don’t eat for 16 hours of the 24 in a day. Easy right? Then if you want to supercharge it – make your first meal high-ish in protein. Click here for a really long and detailed post about it.
Health Tip 2) Bicarbonate of Soda / Sodium Bicarbonate
(with lemon for antioxidants) is a quick fix for acid reflux. Really that shit is a literally saving lives. Don’t tolerate acid after indulgence – fix it. If the acid goes on for more than a day or so it’s worth checking in with your doc or ‘checking in’ with your thinking and food – something is not agreeing with you. The reason for doing it yourself is because commercial anti-acids are often full of unnecessary added ingredients.
It’s not my recipe but some say 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda + 1/2 glass of water is the way forward. (The ‘Home Remedies’ link at the bottom of this page has a nice list of ways to use it).
PS. If you don’t get acid reflux someone by you probably does so pass the tip on, you will make someones day!! Literally transforming their week!
PPS. This is just a short term fix,not a long term health strategy. See your doctor, TCM doctor or health practitioner.
PPPS. Getting more alkaline foods in your mouth, giving yourself a good 3 hours between your last meal and sleep could be your longer term strategy for sorting acid reflux. If the problem persists see your doctor.
Health Tip 3) Meditate or find something to do on your own.
(without mixing your ‘energy’ with anyone else).
I like to drink a tea, practice drumming or stick patterns, train, walk, or a vipassana style meditation. Lovely…
This will give you a minute to settle your mind and to help you not react to family pressures.
By giving yourself a few minutes on your own, 15+ mins is good, you can find space in your mind and energy to give compassion to whoever or whatever it is that’s annoying you. The deeper level of pain, confrontation, anger, annoyance within a family setting is a deeper unconscious pain that ‘wants’ to come to the surface. The goal is to not react. Go to you tube and check out Eckhart Tolle’s ‘Pain Body’ for more on that. It’s a life enhancing perspective/metaphor.
Health Tip 4) Aim for more nutrients per calorie.
BORING right… and it works. But this also depends.
If you’re still counting calories please give release yourself of that boring pointless restrictive way of eating. Find a way to tune in to how you feel. There is this magical feeling when you let go of all that head work around food and actually get in touch with how it feels to be eating right for your body.
The first step here is to know that a calorie doesn’t equal a calorie – i.e 200 calories of sausage on a stick probably has more nutrients than 200 calories of ‘chocolate mouse light’. The mouse light is probably full of artificial sweeteners BUT the sausage probably came from a pig that was pumped full of hormones and plumped up on GMO feed. My advice there is buy at least organic and grassfed, avoid the word ‘light’ at all costs and if you’re not into eating animals then make sure your vegan way of eating is giving you the nutrients you need too because there are plenty of pointless vegan foods out there 😉
Blending vegetables into a smoothie is an awesome way to get more nutrients in there, especially because you get to keep the fiber!
Health Tip 5) You don’t have to eat shitty food.
It’s OK to say no. Just because your family (yes that includes your partner) or friends are smashing a load of cookies and ice cream riddled with artificial nonsense doesn’t mean you have to. They have their knowledge, wisdom and feeling with food and alcohol and they will be acting from where they are. Remember it depends. Maybe their body is more adept at digesting that food or booze, maybe they had a MASSIVE workout that day and their body is burning like a steam engine, or maybe they just don’t care that much.
By all means, get involved, give yourself the freedom to eat anything and everything you desire and without the guilt trip because ‘Mind over matter’ is more powerful than you can imagine. If you do, the next day can probably be helped by intermittent fasting and baking soda the next day can help your body clear out the junk.
A thought on this mind over matter business… I remember seeing a documentary on centenerians. They were looking at their health, lifestyle, food, habits and seeing if they could draw any conclusions to reasons for their longevity. There was a Scottish guy at the end who really struck a chord with me. He was the mechanic in the village, the only mechanic – he helped everyone. He also chain smoked cigarettes and drank alcohol every day… He was living well! But how!? He was loving life, and everyone in the community needed him to be alive. “They just wont let me die…” were the words that closed the documentary. Food for though right? Thinking about the placebo and nocebo effect (the mind healing or harming an individual) this guy had nailed it. BUT I suspect that if he nourished his physicla body with local, organic foods he might just be the first human to levitate!
Health Tip 6) Fat – it’s OK to eat it. You know that right?
And this depends too – mainly on how it’s cooked and the source. But really, you know fat is OK already right? Sugar, processed foods, stress, a job/life you hate, is probably what’s messing with you the most – both body and mind. Zoe Harcombe nails the fat myth here… Oh noooo but what about cholesterol…. read this by Zoe Harcombe.
Remember how Time Magazine fucked things up a few years back…?
(The cover photo on the left in 1984 was the wrong, misguided perhaps part of an Astroturfing strategy to sell cholesterol medication. The cover on the right in 2014 was their revised message)
When it comes to getting the health benefits of eating fat make sure you get the quality and how/if it is cooked right.
7) You are already AWESOME and do not need a diet plan.
People often think they need to burn fat to become healthy when the opposite is true and feels a millions times better: be healthy both in your body and mind and understand your body’s true needs the fat will drop off…
Thank you for reading this, I assume that at least one of the words on this page has meant something to you.
Why bother sharing this information?
The reason I write these blog posts is because I want more and more people to get this kind of information… as many as possible. The more high quality, well researched, unbiased and exploratory information on food and health the better.
The stages of truth in health are very real – why wait until science ‘proves’ something when it has been practiced in real life, without sponsors, for many years.
Too much of the readily available health information is strategically controlled through ‘Astroturfing’, the script is written, all the way from the pharmaceutical industry (who continue to shoot themselves in the foot) to the newspapers (don’t ), the to nestle, herbalife, and most of the other There is plenty of info like this out there but I guess you’re reading this one. can be disseminated (nice word right?) that will very soon lead to an un-biased maybe silent investor/sponsor. Some corporations seem to be very slowly turning their ways around, other ethical companies are popping up all around now, Castle Rock in California are transforming the bottled water industry, Addictive Wellness are nailing it with their chocolate, LivingTea.net are sharing the World’s cleanest tea, the Wellbeingnow Seminar in the UK is bringing together people with powerful messages and Mcroaid International are just awesome They’re not paying me to mention them, they deserve it…
Still confused about GMO? Watch this the video at the bottom of this post…
All being well, if you cut your arm (don’t try this) what happens? It heals right. Miraculously, all by itself. If the human body is sick or out of balance, get it back in balance and it will most likely do the same. That is one of the goals of Traditional Chinese Medicine – to get the human back into balance; through lifestyle, food, acupuncture and herbs.
Remember the whole Yin and Yang thing? Balance. Want to live well and long? Balance is your goal.
I hope so… if so read on..
if not, definitely read on..
This is a full-on read about the future (and past) of health.
PS. This is not about eating soy 😉
The practice of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) uses some or all of the following in order to achieve balance in the human – lifestyle change (food and stress), acupuncture, acupressure, herbs and massage.
Making changes in life are often the hardest thing for a human to do, even if the outcome of not changing means sickness and early death. Western medicine too often focuses on patching up the symptom (symptoms being messages from your body – HEY SOMETHING IS GOING ON!) where as TCM goes deeper, both soothing the symptoms while getting to the root of the cause.
With Tu Youyou recently receiving a Nobel prize for her life’s dedication to and working with TCM, it is very obvious to me that TCM is about to receive the credit and exposure it deserves. People often use TCM alongside Western medicine to heal their sickness.
…if you have 2 more minutes do read on.
1) Western medicine has it’s place in this World, but with a bit of prevention you just be able to steer clear.
2) I do not support the use of animal parts in Traditional Chinese Medicine. There are herbal alternatives.
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
Sh*t hit the fan at the beginning of the 20th century when scientists were confronted with the fact that their most fundamental principle, mantra, belief if you will, was flawed. Flawed all the way to the center of the atom (there is an interesting video by Bruce Lipton Phd on this at the bottom of this page)
The basic problem was that they thought the atom was solid, it isn’t. Inside the atom is energy.
(This situation is kind of like how; they thought the World was flat, and they were ‘right’, but it wasn’t)
2000+ years ago the Chinese had no idea that in 2000 years scientists would finally be getting around to quantum physics – you know, looking inside physical matter at what is actually there – energy.
Thousands of years ago physicians of TCM didn’t know how to look inside a cell, molecule or atom… But they did know that there is more to the human than just physical flesh and bones. Traditional Chinese Medicine is based on the fact that a human is made of energy (known as Qi) and, that Western medicine began based on a fallacy.
“Even though this energy can’t be touched or measured, they believe that Qi (Life-force energy) is running through us and every living thing in the Universe including food ” (Deperon and Enion, 2015)
Two completely different foundations, and foundations are everything right? Remember that old age saying; keep building on a shaky foundation and you will end up with an obesity epidemic and millions of people paying billions of dollars for medication(?)
Traditional Chinese Medicine has evolved over thousands of years of research and practice. The learnings are passed on between practitioners and the herbs and remedies are not protected by patents.
(By the way, yes I have experienced many TCM treatments including acupuncture and herbs. The more I research and experience treatments (it’s actually awesome for maintenance too) the more I love it and want to share this information with you).
Side note: Western medicine has its place, I’m sure. Because there is a lot of mis-information out out there about Chinese Medicine, often the purpose of this article is to show you the benefits of wisdom from the East that has been around for 1000’s of years.
INTERESTING FACT: Recently (Winter 2015) Tu Youyou (pharmacologist at the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences) was awarded a Nobel Prize (and $900k+) for her research and work in discovering a therapy for malaria (artemisinin being the specific extract from Artemisia Annua). Artemisinin was proven to be an improvement on the drug Chloroquine which the malaria parasites have developed a resistance to. Oh, by the way she’s 84 years old and awesome.
4 insights into Traditional Chinese Medicine:
1) Sickness or illness is viewed as stagnation.
In order to heal or balance the human the stagnation needs to be relieved – unblocked if you will.
Compare that to “you have illness X and here are you pills”. Not cool… Or do you like taking the pills? TCM can get stagnation flowing again in a number of ways, often starting with lifestyle and eating habits, closely followed by acupuncture and then herbs (taken orally or applied topically). Know that there is no actual order for the treatments and it is a human by human diagnosis and administration of treatment. So, in TCM illness is viewed as something that is happening in the moment rather than a final diagnosis.
2) The medicine you eat/drink/take is herbs.
After balancing food and lifestyle then come the herbs. They’re potent and get to work performing a number of functions depending on the symptoms (messages from the body). Some dry from the inside out, some add moisture, some warm, other cool, some give energy and others calm. The combination of herbs you are given will be based on you. (more on this in point 4 below).
IMPORTANT NOTE: herbs are not to be depended on (unlike many of the unnecessary prescriptions in Western medicine), they are to help create balance while other changes are being made (lifestyle and food)
Note: Herbs are sometimes prescribed straight away depending on the practitioner and the state of the human.
3) The body is viewed as a mini version of the Universe and that it is completely connected to the immediate and greater environment.
I love the perspective of Dr Bruce Lipton who lectures about the body being made of cells, inside the cells are molecules, then atoms and inside the atom? Energy (Qi)
(This is a key principle in TCM and it is science- quantum physics).
4) Everything is comprised of the ever changing Five Elements. Fire, Earth, Wood, Metal, and Water symbolically represent everything.
Metaphorically speaking too much of the ‘fire’ element in a human could manifest as night sweats or acid reflux. Too much of the ‘water’ element might show up as ‘loose poop’. The critical factor in treating imbalances in the elements is the correct diagnosis followed by the right balance of herbs and lifestyle changes to address the imbalance. An example; someone that has too much fire and water would both need to dry the water and cool the fire (symbolically speaking of course). It’s important to remember that the elements in the environment are always changing too (Think seasons – summer is more fiery than winter, which is cooler and perhaps more damp) and so that is one reason it is beneficial to eat local because the food will be in season and in tune with the environment it is born from.
Other awesome stuff they do in the East:
– Squat to poop. I started doing that when I was around 21, and in so many years have only downed one toilet – yep, the whole toilet fell onto its side and I ended up with one foot in and one out (re-pooping thankfully). When you squat (butt below knees) you relax your insides allowing an easier poop and for more volume to be released. By doing this safely over time you also strengthen your knees and open your hips – useful in old age – just ask your nanna or someone elses’.
– They eat white rice. It’s more easily digested than brown rice which contains the whole husk. White rice is not necessarily great for someone who urgently needs to burn fat but for the most part it’s more easily digested and generally recommend as part of a meal for someone especially if they have a weak digestion. The labor intense lives of the Chinese, especially a few hundred / thousand years ago, was well suited to the fast releasing carbs like white rice. Oh my, so much more to say on that subject but I will leave it there for now.
– Seaweed is a staple in the Asian diet (not wheat). Seaweed is a great (real food) source of iodine giving 3000 to 5000 micrograms of iodine per day. In the the West they simply added an extract to table salt which is inferior real food and potentially dangerous (Mercola, 2013)
– Asians tend to eat much more fish than Westerners giving them a more balanced Om3 to Om6 ratio. (‘Are fish safe to eat?’ and ‘are we killing all of the fish?’ are a whole other conversation).
– They tend to eat most of the animal including making broths and soups by boiling the bones to pull out much needed minerals.
– Asians meditate and walk more than most in the West.
– Fermented food is common in Asia – this is a process that helps remove the plant’s natural defense mechanism making it more easier to digest. AND the fermented foods (like cabbage and tea) nourish the human with brilliant bacteria.
Advantages of Traditional Chinese Medicine:
+ Using herbs means no chemical.
+ It works to heal rather than destroy. Western medicine appears to focus on destroying the problem and everything in it’s path often including the immune system and bacteria critical to the health and healing of a human being.
+ Side effects are few and far between – increasing compliance – people more likely to actually take the herbs knowing they are going to feel alrigh (NCBI, 2001). Compared to common side effects of pharmaceuticals; death, nausea, constipation, drowsiness, pain and you have a no-brainer.
+ Cost is minimal (especially in comparison to pharma)
+ Can heal and prevent major illnesses which would often be diagnosed as terminal in Western medicine.
+ The job of the TCM practitioner is more than just healing you. Remember the old ‘give a man a fish’ metaphor? This is the way TCM is helping the human race with its health – offering learning on finding and keeping ones own balance.
+ Western medicine defines health as the absence of illness. Fuck not being ill, what about being awesome!
+ ‘Fresh, local food and herbs when needed’ is pretty much their eating ‘philosophy’
Getting Traditional Chinese Medicine right:
– Herb quality is very important – like food, soap even deodorant if you use it – anything that goes in your body should be the most nourishing as possible – especially medicine. You can get this right by having your practitioner referred to you by someone in the know and doing a little research yourself first.
– It can take longer to cure a disease using TCM but TCM is known for curing, removing the tail or root of the disease rather than merely covering up a symptoms.
– It takes commitment by the patient (you might have to boil herbs to make the medicine) where in Western medicine you just take a pill, though some TCM practitioners use herbs in capsule form.
– If you are taking Western medicine and see a practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine it is critical that you report this to your new doctor, and vice versa (NCBI, 2001).
– It can take a bit of time finding the right practitioner for you. My experience was as well as seeing my awesome acupuncturist in LA I used to drive to San Francisco to see a specialist too.
The antibiotics factor:
“Antibiotics” Phillip Ward, Practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine says “When it comes to treating a life threatening infection there is no other type of medicine/herb that has benefited the world as much as antibiotics. He goes on to say “The fact that they <antibiotics> are widely over prescribed is a whole other issue. But, for example, if you have a legitimate infection in your heart or kidneys there is no time to mess around and antibiotics should be prescribed immediately. In general, TCM does not deal with urgent illnesses of that nature and magnitude as well as Western medicine. This is why hospitals in China use the best of both worlds (TCM and Western pharmaceuticals) to treat patients. The beauty of living in this time of existence is that we can use more modern medicines like antibiotics to rid ourselves of a dangerous infection and then use TCM to recover and strengthen our system to prevent possible infections in the future. Although, there seems to be a shift brewing with medical doctors on the horizon western medicine’s biggest pitfall is educating patients on how to stay healthy. They focus on treating diseases and put very little if any emphasis on staying healing and the importance of a balanced life (healthy eating, proper sleep, adequate movement and exercise, healthy relationships) This is where TCM does its best work. We (TCM practitioners) have the means to treat serious illness but our primary focus is to keep our patients healthy. The forefathers of TCM realized 3000 years ago that it is easier to stay healthy than it is cure a disease”.
I would LOVE to read your thoughts and comments about this (this is your queue to write a comment)
This video is featuring the awesome Castle Rock Water, and see if you can see how deep the messages go…
Castle Rock Water are on a great mission. For so many reasons, not just their contribution to and collaboration with the community of Dunsmuir where the water caves are but also what they stand for – using glass bottles, providing water from a source so pure and nourishing (water is not just water).
Like when people buy organic foods and choose local produce or dine at restaurants supporting local farms, by choosing water from glass bottles you’re helping yourself (not ingesting the plastic) and the environment.
The mountain where this water comes from is a magical place. Yeah I guess that could sound a little bit hippie but if you ever get the chance to visit Mount Shasta you will know why…
This interview with Castle Rock Water @CastleRockWater at Expo West and at their plant near Mount Shasta was a nourishing one!! I love these guys, their messages and everything they are standing for.
Castle Rock Water is one of the Worlds best water. They even won an award for it in 2014. But their mission and message is wider and deeper than this…. watch the video now if you’re yet to do so… get in!
Oh, and, we are not saying to start shipping this water all around the World, simply if you’re fortunate enough to be in this area to try it. And wherever you are in the World to choose a water source that is clean and nourishing for your body and mind and that is supporting the local community rather than depleting.
This is a nice preview of the 2015 interview with David Wolfe – I wonder if he likes Castle rock Water?
(Organic Grapefruit, Silly Man With Hat, Miami, Florida)
So, resolutions… Really? You’re still making these? Well, I guess there COULD be merit in it but before you consider making a new years resolution have a quick think back to your last to see if that list of stuff you wanted to change is actually any different? And, read on…
Lazy to read all of this post then know this:
– Restricting yourself from something can create a head full of traps. Move towards what you want..
– Ignore the Social Media New Years Resolution hype because you might ‘inherit’ someone else’s problems. Do your thing. If you want to, focus on upgrading the already awesome you…
– When it comes to food, the restriction plan has proven itself useless, even problematic (…decades of fad dieting) time and time again. ‘Move towards nutrient dense foods’ is a full proof basic strategy. With that fine tune your nutrient dense food selection based on how you react to it (energy levels, skin, hair and moods are some of the feedback systems to ‘listen to’).
– Tune in to, respect, and listen to your environment. That is everything in your life. It is speaking to you, you are speaking with it, it affects you and you affect it. I invite you to tune in.
– Restricting others. What!? Yeah, that’s right… Something that any food blogger, nutritionist, trainer, or any human really should consider; is where am I projecting (putting) my own beliefs and restrictions on others. And then considering how offer learnings without inflicting them…
THIS NEXT ONE IS A BEAUTY!!!
– What action does the person you want to become already do? Just do it. By doing the thing that the person you want to become does you instantly become the person you want to become. You’re one and the same. Do it. You ca rinse and repeat this one for a while because it will always apply.
Back to RESTRICTION…
The second you say (or even think) ‘I can’t eat this or that’ you put a trap in your mind. The 7 year old in you rebels with a force stronger than the bowl movements of a lactose intolerant drinking pasteurized fat-free milk (which should be avoided at all costs by the way). Health should NOT be about mind traps and restriction.
(That’s what our childhood was for, right!?)
Youcan flip it…
Check this example:
Imagine person A wants to lose some weight. They begin the year with a list of all the foods they’re not going to eat. No chocolate, no cake, no fish and chips, no bread, no pasta, no carbs, no sugar…
Now imagine person B takes a different approach. Instead of depriving, taking things away they choose to add green vegetables to their meals, upgrade from grain fed beef to grass fed beef, to eat eggs from free range organic chickens, or to add a green smoothie, or to add 10 minutes to their dog walking, even to find time to go for a walk or even begin some kind of sport or training.
Person B is moving towards nutrient dense foods, saying yes to life (yeah i know it might sound hippie but as you will see in my videos the hippie category so created by man, is absolutely bang on right with most things life). Person B is nourishing their mind, body and energy. Creating something in their life that they can then freely and happily share with others.
Now, with aaaaaaaaaaall of that said…
If you are still hell-bent on making a resolution based on dieting this year, have a read of this so you jump the first hurdle:
Heard someone (maybe you) say this before?
“OH, yeah dude, I know how to lose fat, just train more and eat less…” WRONG (well that depends too really because you will probably lose a bit in the first couple of days BUT know that the ‘eat less, train more’ is severely flawed and almost certainly not sustainable for you and will almost certainly wreak havoc on your hormones doing unnecessary damage)
Train more, eat less is a bit like the finding that smoking cigarettes can temporarily increase your lung capacity, very short term gain for medium to long term damage). Calories in Calories out? That’s what ‘train more eat less’ is based on really, so yep, calories in calories out is severely flawed too.
Quick 2015 fix for fat burning?
Again this absolutely depends on you, your heart, your lifestyle, motivation, health and physical ability but…
– Sprints (or HIIT) before a protein dominant breakfast is a basic rule of thumb that many experts (including me) use on themselves and with clients.
– Squats. Deep, satisfying squats. Get them in your life for fat burning, strength building, feeling awesome and mobility.
Give yourself freedom from restriction in 2015
So, if you’re going to set yourself any kind of ‘goal’ for 2015 give yourself freedom from restriction. Taking a 180 degree view of your approach to food and health.
Give yourself the gift of moving towards nutrient dense foods while increasing your awareness on how your eating and buying decisions impact you and the environment around you. That is a deeper way to nourish yourself.
Simple when you feel the shift.
THIS REALLY HELPS: If you like this, click like at the top and on Rich Eats FaceBook to stay in touch because I will be posting much more regularly to motivate the awesomeness out of you!
Some people get swallowed by LA’s debauchery, I found a beautiful tea community and indulged in swallowing the nectar a philosophy of this beautiful leaf while loving every second of being around the fun, loving and interesting people.
I’ve spent many hours with the brilliant Wu De, once a group of us we sat for 7 hours with a short snack break. Wu De is a tea master and is a pleasure learning from and drinking with!
Enjoy this interview about Tea:
Living Tea is one of natures gifts to us. It is perfect.
There is no other leaf that fits so well with the human being than tea.
Always at least Organic Tea Fast Facts:
Organic tea will have some nutrients for you without the damaging chemicals
Non organic tea will be full of chemicals and very little nutrients (lacking in one of tea’s greatest gifts to us – antioxidants)
Organic and sustainable tea farms help bring a beautiful beverage to humanity, non organic bring poison and damage the planet
Wild living teas have a deeper energy and gift for humans.
What to do?
Only drink at least organic Tea. I say at least because you can get wild living tea that is from wild, old trees that are found high in the mountains of Taiwan and China.
What else is important?
It’s important to look deeper, seeing through the cup in front of you to the leaf, the tree, the ecology of the tree. If it is not organic tea (or from a wild source) the tea will have been grown on a farm using herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers.
Those chemicals damage and leak from the farms (which in themselves are not isolated from the planet – just like nuclear waste cannot be ‘contained’) into rivers and then everywhere those rivers travel.
So what? Some scientists are predicting we are well into the 6th mass extinction. Though this one has been induced by man him/herself. To date one study shows that ** % of the World’s species have already been wiped out. Fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides (used as chemical weapons in the Vietnam war)
Back to you. Because, perhaps you’re probably still thinking – what has this got to do with you? Well, all of the chemicals that went into the non organic tea tree from below are now in your leaf (tea bag) and all of the chemicals that were sprayed on top of the tea tree were also absorbed by the tea leaf. So… now when you pour hot water on to your tea leaves the chemicals are in your beverage. Drink it down and it’s inside your body, your thoughts, your relationships, your work, your life.
Organic or living tea from sustainable farms is the one way to instantly improve your life and help preserve our place on the planet.
This interview with Wu De, a brilliant man who is the tea master of Global Tea hut and the *** foundation in Tiawan. Having enjoyed many bowls with him Wu De has taught me much of what I know about tea. Thank you for your wisdom!
I’d also like to thank the beautiful tea community in Los Angeles for inviting me in, arms wide open. Love, tea and push ups.
I met these guys at Expo West 2013 and again this year (2014 indeed) so grabbed them and their bars for a tasty interview! Check this!!
Epic Bars are a paleo treat, yep they’re paleo and from wild free roaming animals. 100% GrassFed.
I met the Epic bars team, (you know that already if watched the video above). They’re decent guys and girls and on a decent mission bringing a nourishing replacement for nasty other factory farmed, chemical laden protein bars.
They’re not beef jerky, Epic paleo bars are a different world to beef jerky. Incomparable.
My experience eating Paleo
I’ve chilled out a lot since my hardcore zero tolerance paleo days. Paleo can be an amazing stepping stone into actually understanding digestion and your digestive system, and for some they will stay paleo and feel awesome. And for some it will potentially save their lives, or at the very least enhance and elongate their experience and time on this planet.
But there can be some pitfalls to avoid when it comes to eating paleo.
After a couple of years of paleo (zero tolerance) I started to feel a little drag in my energy, my digestion was becoming pretty inefficient and, basically I hit a wall with ‘What they heck do i eat now?’
Traditional Chinese medicine saved me here.
Chinese medicine helped me get in touch with my spleen. More on that later. The point is important because by blindly ‘going paleo’ it’s easy to miss out on foods that are necessary to nourish our organs OR to overindulge on certain ‘paleo’ foods that should perhaps be eaten in moderation.
Back to the point of this paleo rant…
In my opinion these bars taste awesome and are very clean and the team behind them are legit. Get in!
Epic are cleaning things up around here in the protein bar world